This is the news archive of Facts are Facts.
You can find our recent articles in the section Latest.
Tooth decay among (75% fluoridated) OKLAHOMA youngsters is a "silent epidemic." Nearly 70 percent of third-graders have at least one permanent or primary tooth decayed, missing or filled. http://www.newsok.com/cgi-bin/show_article?ID=1187970&TP=getarticle
Oral health for poor children remains a terrible problem in (fluoridated) CINCINNATI - kids with untreated decay come to school with throbbing toothaches and bleeding gums - but the situation is worse in KENTUCKY (96% fluoridated).
The University of KENTUCKY recently found that 57 percent of third- and sixth- grade students had fillings or tooth decay, and that 31 percent needed treatment. Both rates are twice the national average.
"two out of every three children in WEST PHILLY (fluoridated) have at least one area of untreated tooth decay, a figure well above the national average, "
DETROIT Black children from (fluoridated) Detroit's poorest families have among the worst teeth of any group of children in the nation, according to a recent study by professors at the University of Michigan http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/7521679.htm
--- Two-thirds of elementary school children and thirty-three percent of preschoolers, living in SAN FRANCISCO, fluoridated since 1954, had cavities, many untreated, according to a 1996/97 survey revealing cavity prevalence in San Francisco is similar to the rest of California, mostly non-fluoridated at the time of the survey.
--- In a study by the University of MARYLAND Baltimore, 53.7 percent of the region's school-age children had some form of untreated dental decay during the 2000- 2001 school year. The state average is 41.6 percent, and the national average is even lower, at 23.1 percent. According to the CDC, Maryland is 90.7 percent fluoridated. http://www.dailytimesonline.com/news/stories/20030822/localnews/107397.html
"Are Cavity Rates Rising," Delta Dental
NBC ARKANSAS News Report
University of ROCHESTER, NY, News Release "Dental cavities on the rise again; back to 'drill and fill'" http://fluoride.oralhealth.org/papers/2000/eurekaalert040800.htm
"Rise in tooth decay may be tied to sugary pop, sports drinks and even bottled water," Seattle Times
"Early Childhood Tooth Decay," by Stephen R. Branam, D.D.S
"Special Report: CINCINNATI's dental crisis,"
The Wall Street Journal, "Health Journal: As kids' cavities rise, some dentists advocate using tooth sealants," Tara Parker-Pope, March 8, 2002
Newspaper and other articles reporting rampant tooth decay in fluoridated areas: -- 83% fluoridation WESTERN AUSTRALIA (where children's dental care is free) "the end of the 1990s saw a period of increasing decay scores across all age groups. This was most evident for 5-year-olds who, between 1996 and 1999, experienced a 21.7% increase in recorded decay." (The Child Dental Health Survey, 1999 published in 2003) http://www.adelaide.edu.au/spdent/dsru/data_frame.html
DETROIT, Michigan, fluoridated since 1967 "describes one visit to a metro Detroit school where the majority of the children she treated had 'at least 10 cavities.'" http://www.freep.com/news/health/dent20_20010220.htm
Fluoridated Water Not Preventing Rampant Decay Among SOUTHBRIDGE, (MASSACHUSETTES) Poor http://www.fluoridealert.org/news/705.html
Dental Health Crisis in Fluoridated MIAMI DADE and BROWARD COUNTIES, FLORIDA http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/2002/03/12/entertainment/2840646.htm
--88.8% fluoridated CONNECTICUT has an oral health epidemic: http://www.med.yale.edu/chldstdy/CTvoices/kidslink/kidslink2/health/texts/jshaw72400.html
"Fluoridated since 1983 "...in BLADEN COUNTY (NC) about 32 percent of kindergarten children screened have untreated tooth decay...
Oral health crisis in 100% fluoridated KENTUCKY 11/26/01 reported by the Associated Press http://www.fluoridealert.org/news/734.html
Tooth decay the least of huge problems in poor children in fluoridated MARION, South Carolina http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/2930943.htm
Children in fluoridated WASHINGTON DC, age 6, have five or six teeth with cavities http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp- yn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A38732-2002Mar4Found=true
"Poor diet is the single biggest culprit in cavities..." Finally, the truth in an article that tells us again that tooth decay is rampant in a fluoridated city - this time in PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania http://www.post-gazette.com/healthscience/20020402hclinic5.asp
New York City 100% fluoridated since about 1965 "Bleeding gums, impacted teeth, rotting teeth are routine matters in the children....Children get used to feeling the constant pain. They go to sleep with it. They go to school with it....The gradual attrition of accepted pain erodes energy and aspiration." Jonathan Kozol 1991. Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools. quoted in Oral Disease: A Crisis among Children of Poverty http://www.ncemch.org/pubs/PDFs/ohcrisis598.pdf
-- Despite decades of water fluoridation in Aiken County, SOUTH CAROLINA, "We haven't made a significant dent in the rate of dental disease in the 0-3 age group in the past 20 years..."
Dentists Rebuff Needy Clients http://www.spokesmanreview.com/news- tory.asp?date=042002&ID=s1134820 Children in PULLMAN, Washington, fluoridated since 1956, have loads of tooth decay
* In CONNECTICUT, 88.8% fluoridated for decades, cavity rates increased -- average number of decayed, missing, or filled tooth surfaces (dmfs) increased from 2.8 to 3.0 and average dmfs in cavity-positive children increased substantially from 5.7 to 7.9, recently reported (1) by Connecticut Dentists.
* In fluoridated NEWBURGH, NEW YORK, despite 50 years of fluoridation, many children have more cavities than never-fluoridated Kingston, New York, according to a New York State Department of Health study (2).
* A FLORIDA fluoridated county -- Three- to five-year olds studied averaged 3.05 to 4.05 dmfs (4). (Children have 128 tooth surfaces, in 28 teeth. So, dmfs is a more sensitive cavity counter than dmft. Some teeth have five surfaces.
* Non-fluoridated LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK, second-graders are more cavity-free than nationally (5) ranging from no cavities to 0.6 dmfs in 1987-88.
* NEW YORK CITY, fluoridated for decades, 7-8 year-olds averaged 2.43 to 3.14 dft (decayed, filled primary teeth) 1993, according to "Dispelling the Myth that 50 Percent of US Schoolchildren Have Never Had a Cavity," by dentists Edelstein and Douglass (6).
* Edelstein and Douglass cite studies that show: 1. CALIFORNIA, the fluoridated parts -- 4.80 dfs in a group of 3- to 5-year olds -- 1990. 2. Fluoridated NORTH CAROLINA -- peak rates of 5.3 for 9-year-old males and 4.7 for 8-year-old females -- 1990 3. Fluoridated TENNESSEE -- Peak rates of 7.26 dfs and 2.61 dft at age 7
* Fluoridated TENNESSEE -- five- to eleven-year-olds averaged 6.94 dfs (7)
* Fluoridated IOWA -- low socioeconomic 8-year-olds 4.0 dfs (8)